MAIA UPDATE: We saw a flicker of biceps tonight!!!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Francine_Litz

MAIA UPDATE: We saw a flicker of biceps tonight!!!

Post by Francine_Litz »

Last Monday, Maia took a fall in the play yard at school. She was in the safe kindergarten playground with only two other children and her recess "shadow" (adult attendant there just to watch over Maia). The bell rang to signify that recess was over. Maia got excited and began to think about running to the door but one step in, she tripped on a chain from the equipment and went down on her bpi arm.

She fractured her humerus in a bad way, was in a horriffic amount of pain and lost all function except for fingers. We were devastated.

Tonight at 8:45 pm - almost 2 weeks later - we saw our first biceps flicker. I saw it - I asked her to do it again and I saw it 2 more times and that was it.

That's all I needed to see...now the despair is over - even if it never moves again for two more months - I know that the connection is there and it's all up from here.

It was very sad to think of Maia as OBPI AND TBPI. The pain was so horrific for her. I can't even describe what this little girl has gone through these last two weeks. I have so much respect for her. She held it together way better than Lou and I did. She is truly an old and wise soul.

Today she said, "MOMMA MOMMA - you see I told you that Leftie wasn't asleep... it was JUST RESTING !!"

How I love my little girl. I am so proud of her. I am so happy for her.

Thank you to all who prayed and gave thoughts to and sent loving to Maia.

God bless you,
francine
Susana

Re: MAIA UPDATE: We saw a flicker of biceps tonight!!!

Post by Susana »

Francine, my prayers are still with all of you. Kids are amazing, some times stronger than adults. God Bless your little one, she is a very strong girl.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

AMEN...

We are much tougher than our parent think.... Maia just proved it!

Love & still keeping you in my prayers
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

Glad to hear it.
You go Maia!

Nancy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You go Maia! Leftie must be tired of resting! Keep up the great work! We love you!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Were so glad Maia is showing improvement. I know you all were releived when you saw her movement. I hope her pain has eased off. God definitly watches over our children. Hoping that Maia recovers fully and as soon as possible. It does seem like our children are tougher than we give them credit for but sometimes as parents its hard for us to see that especially when they are in so much pain physically and emotionally. Best Wishes to Litz family.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry, forgot to put my name in. My posted reply to Litz Family. Best Wishes.... didnt mean to post as guest...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Awesome!!! We have been praying. Good to hear from you again. Stay strong and keep on believing. Your little girl is so strong.
tina arvizu

Post by tina arvizu »

Francine, Maia will be in our prayers tonight. I just well up when she talks about Leftie. I was just talking about her today and everyone thought her picture at the exhibit w/ the fanny pack was sooooo cute. Her Metal is in the mail on Monday. Big Hug- Tina
Karen Hillyer

Post by Karen Hillyer »

Francine - I am delighted that Maia is now showing signs of recovery. I hope this stressful time passes quickly for all of you and that Maia has some respite from the pain of her broken bone.
I wish her well.