Vioxx recall

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Vioxx recall

Post by jennyb »

Vioxx was removed from sale in New Zealand yesterday and also the States so I'm assuming this will be worldwide. http://www.adrugrecall.com/news/vioxx-recall.html It is one of the most widely used anti inflammatories here thanks mainly to aggressive marketing (funny they didn't mention the potentially fatal side effects!) and its withdrawal is already causing probs, I personally know 3 people on it. I'm sure I've read here about some of you guys using it. This really highlights for me the fact that trials for many new drugs are just NOT long enough-and it looks like the side effects have been known about for a while, just not proven until now. Wonder how many people knew that before they took it?
If you're on this drug see your doc asap I guess. What a bummer if it's the one that works for you :0(
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: Vioxx recall

Post by Kath »

Jenny
I finally agreed to take a pain killer and took Vioxx for only three days. It was amazing I took it and then kept complaining to my husband -"something is missing I can't figure it out" and after doing tons of work I realized it was the first time in my life I was totally pain free. The next two days I kept tell him "Wow this is great, so this is how you feel" ... but on the third day my legs blew up like balloons and the doctor took me off... I felt bad it was a good feeling and I did not realize how much I hurt until the pain was gone (wow that sounds like and old joke) ... but after reading so much about it I was relieved. They talked about me taking it again just recently and I refused... boy am I glad.
Thanks for posting it
Kath M
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
jacko

Post by jacko »

Vioxx has just been stopped in the UK as well. Aparently you could have taken in for up to 18 months with no real problems, but taking it continuosly creates a very real danger of contracting cancer. They had the choice of labelling the warning, or withdrawing the product completely. They chose the latter option. Is there something else they're not telling us ?
BTW, if you want to know more, the product is manufactured by Merck, Sharp & Dohme Ltd., in the UK, and Merck,Inc in the 'States. Presumably they have a website, and a FAQs section.
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

The link I gave gives quite a lot of info-always be careful when looking at manufacturers websites because unsurprisingly they are not very up front and honest about the seriousness of the side effects-doubling your risk of heart attack is not a minor thing. What annoys me about this is they released the drug for use in 1999, noticed problems in 2000, and here we are in 2004 and only now are we finding out about this. I wonder how many people had heart attacks in the meantime?
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Jenny
You know what bothers me is all of the elderly who are not on the Internet and cannot/do not read the possible side effects.

They just assume if the doctor gave it to them its ok. Here in USA when a drug is give we get big long sheets of information in very tiny print of possible problems etc... but I doubt they read them.

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Gayle Ozzy

Post by Gayle Ozzy »

Hi,
Is this the same as Bextra that Sandy is taking? How heart breaking if it is?
admin
Site Admin

google pr main

Post by admin »

hello! http://www.areaseo.com/contacts/ google pr. SE marketing, High Rankings, SEO consultant
. From google pr .
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

online directory main
admin
Site Admin

google pr main

Post by admin »

hello! http://www.areaseo.com/contacts/ google pr. Search Engine Optimization, Professional SEO, pagerank algorithm. From google pr .