scoliosis

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

scoliosis

Post by marieke »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else developped scoliosis secondary to a BPI injury?
I have a LBPI since birth and am now 29 yrs old. We discovered the scoliosis secondary to another illness (not related to the birth injury).
Thanks!
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: scoliosis

Post by Kath »

Yes, I do. I was not aware of it until a PT about 5 years ago mentioned it to me assuming I knew about it.
No other doctor ever mentioned during exams...
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Marieke

Welcome to the Message boards. I realized in my last post I forgot to welcome you.

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Mel4fitness

Post by Mel4fitness »

Hello,
I was diagnosed with scoliosis as a child but as I got older, it went away. My BP doctor (who I last saw 10 years ago) said that it was caused by my extensive weightlifting. But who knows really, I'm just thankful that my back is straight now :)

Melanie
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi, thanks, I am not really new...usually just lurk and since I forgot my sign in name had to re-do it!
I am the girl (? at 29..lol) that figure skated and all that...maybe that rings a bell?
:)
Kath

Post by Kath »

Thanks figure skating rings the bell...glad to see you posting
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

I unfortunatly was forced to stop due to an illness (it paralysed me from the waist down, so far one leg has returned to almost 100%, but skating is out.) Not related in any way to the BPI I have, just makes life a little harder....
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Kath

Post by Kath »

I am sorry to hear that.
I hope you will continue to recover the use of your legs.
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, I was confirmed with Scoliosis at age 10 and wore the Milwalkie brace for 10 years until I stopped growing at 20 yrs old - first 6 years was in it 23 hours a day. I had the MOD QUAD in January and when I was told recovery could be a year - I thought - oh, honey, that's nothing compared to exercising 2x per day for 10 years! It took me 6 months to learn to put the brace on by myself because it had a top screw behind my neck and then a belt behind my low back to secure the girdle part - quite an accomplishment. Never needed surgery for it though thank goodness. My arm took a backseat to the scoliosis though. But I will tell you that I competed in jumping in English style horseback for 6 years with the brace and won a bunch of competitions in regionals!
CarolynfromLA

Post by CarolynfromLA »

I don't have, but doctors I've seen have always checked because it looks like I have it -- my left BPI shoulder is much higher than my right because the muscles are overdeveloped to compensate for the muscles that don't work in my arm. It didn't occur to me that it could actually develop into the real thing, but I will definitely keep a close eye on it.