non-litigation

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
PeggyUBPN

non-litigation

Post by PeggyUBPN »

Just curious, who out there has decided not to go through litigation? If you don't want to answer on the forum and feel comfortable emailing, please consider answering me via email.
I, myself, went through litigation 5 years ago. It's a hard, long road. We lost after a two week trial.
I see lots of posts on litigation and legal questions--and that's great! I just know there is a flip side to that--which is also probably great!

Thanks.
Peggy

LoriV

Re: non-litigation

Post by LoriV »

I emailed you.
PeggyUBPN

Post by PeggyUBPN »

Thanks, Lori!
I emailed you back, too.

Peggy
Katiesmom0514

Post by Katiesmom0514 »

We had contacted 2 different lawyers. One dropped us almost right away due to the doctor being his golf buddy. The second did some foot work and said that he felt the evidence just wasn't there to prove gross negligence. We decided to drop it. I am glad that we did, because litigations would have taken a lot of time away from the more important part.....Katie and getting her better.
Angela Butterfly

Post by Angela Butterfly »

Lori, Inspiring. My Jill said that similar thing around one year ago, she now 21.

Peggy, Didn't sue.....wish I had.....Didn't have time, with everything else. I had to pick and choose. I chose to concentrate on getting Jill better. My very selfish husband was very demanding, had 3 kids in 3 years, etc.

As Jill aged, she brought it up. She had to go through all the dealing with this injury in its phases, and did. When a young teenager, she grew frustrated (with things her injury made it harder to do) and mad at the doctor, she never knew, and wanted to sue.

Again, I was dealing with another mess, in getting away from her father.....and didn't even look into sueing then either.
PeggyUBPN

Post by PeggyUBPN »

I appreciate your responses, both here and via email. I think it is important to support all choices, situations, experiences, ideas, etc. As the old saying goes..."You can't know unless you've walked in my shoes..." (or something along those lines.

It's a tough decision and a very emotional ride.

We are the sum of our experiences. I think think we may be able to learn more from others who have different experiences and I also think we could be more supportive of those who have had different experiences, so that they don't feel so all alone.

Peggy
Angela Butterfly

Post by Angela Butterfly »

AMEN......or better yet..AWOMEN
katep

Post by katep »

not "decided" per se, but dropped because of a lack of insurance (midwife had an exclusion for home births). We were disappointed but frankly relieved that a lawsuit won't consume our time and energy for the coming years. I'd love to hear stories from others who didn't sue. I think that everything can be turned to an advantage. Now we can spend those years focussing on giving our son what benefits we can in terms of teaching him persistance and hard work (not that we couldn't have done that anyway) and that life may not always be fair, but it is always what you make of it.

Kate
solson

Post by solson »

We chose not to sue nor will we in the future. We decided that in our circumstances we were so fortunate that our DD was not injured more severely and I am not convinced that our OB was truly negligent.

We primarily chose not to in order to focus our emotions, strength and prayer toward our daughter healing as much as possible. It was important for us to not have her look at her injury as something that someone DID to her but as a part of who she is. For us we have been fortunate to have full medical coverage for her needs and access to quality physical therapy.

Definitely a personal choice and I dont fault others who choose to go the other direction. :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No litigation here. Even though the OB and maternaty staff were clearly at fault , we chose to focus our energy on positve and put the past to rest. I salute all those and their choices none the less. It's a tough roud .

Lenni