New to this board and BPI

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
CW1992

Re: New to this board and BPI

Post by CW1992 »

Thanks Angela!
I did miss that one - sorry... vacation can't be here soon enough!! I always crack up at the blonde jokes myself - I like to laugh and even though I do not think smartness has ANYTHING to do with hair color - and I think that as you get older you get smarter because you have more experience with life - blonde jokes make me laugh because I can see myself in some of those jokes!! My Dad's side of the family - ALL blondes - family reunions were funny because every one had blonde hair and we all joked about it - all 50+ of us! LOL BUT -I do understand how those jokes can get annoying after a while. Thanks for helping. Sorry EVERYONE - I'm WAY OFF the topic.
Christy

Mom2cmgrej

Post by Mom2cmgrej »

Ok Getting back on topic,

What did your children's arms look like at birth? I have a picture of Evan and he has is swaddle but both his hands are poking out under his chin and also I have a picture of him sleeping the way that babies sleep on their backs with both arms up at their heads. I do notice in a few pics that the left arm seems to hang a bit more than the right and that it is mostly in a fist. I noticed the waiter's tip more when he started tummy time and to roll over, I remember always having to pull that arm from behind him to the front where he could use it to play(that is what I was thinking). I am thinking that maybe he had the injury but it has gotten worse over time instead of better.
katep

Post by katep »

well... Joshua was never able to get his BPI arm out from the swaddle, he always had the one harm hanging but the other stayed in tight. When did Evan start tummy time and rolling over? Is there any chance he was a breech delivery?? He just doesn't sound at all "usual" for a BPI.

Kate

Angela Butterfly

Post by Angela Butterfly »

Stacy, since my LOBPI daughter was 3rd born in 3 years, I back then, noted the difference in their Hospital pictures, right away.

For each daughter I put them in their "pretty outfits" for the coming home picture (non were swadled in a blanket). My first 2 daughters, held both of their little hands up beside their faces......except for the 3rd one. She only had one hand held up close to her face.....the left was completely limp, and down at her side. Broke my heart.
claudia

Post by claudia »

As for baby weights....

My first, a girl, preemie: 6#9oz
My twins, a girl, 7# and a boy, 8#6oz
My last , a girl, 9#6oz

I just build big babies....

thanks, to clairol, I too am blonde! at least most of the time...

claudia
PeggyUBPN

Post by PeggyUBPN »

you want to talk about building them big:

Joel was 9 lbs, 12 oz
Emma was 10 lbs, 7oz (when the got around to weighing her much later becuase they had to rush her out of the delivery room--she turned blue)
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

I was 11 lb. 14 oz.

My Mother and siblings said my arm was like and ice cold heavy piece of marble. I really did not use my hand much until school age and it has always been weak and cold. She said when they picked it up it just dropped. She was sure I would never move at all... but with her hard work I can use my fingers and I still fail the cookie test and can't supinate or hand to mouth... good thing I can eat cookies with my left hand. I write with robpi hand and do most everything else with my left hand including eating.

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
PeggyUBPN

Post by PeggyUBPN »

I'd of never guessed it! You're poor mom!! OUCH!!!

Tess' Mom

Post by Tess' Mom »

Hi, I'm new here too, but just wondered how its possible that you can get "x" amount of months old before a doctor recognizes it? I'm just surprised is all since my little one was pretty much diagnosed at a minute old or something.

Diane
Mom2cmgrej

Post by Mom2cmgrej »

Well, his pediatrician ignored my concerns at his 6th month appt and I do have a picture of him after birth with both hands up at his chin, but his problem is not really being unable to move his arm, it is his arm laying at his side and him using his right hand 99% more that he uses his left hand and he is not able to grasp anything at all. His pediatrician said that she thinks it is a mild injury. Hmmm.