Horseback Riding Concern

Discuss Camp UBPN
TNT1999

Horseback Riding Concern

Post by TNT1999 »

I assume that the riding instructor will have some helmets (various sized) for the riders to use, but wanted to mention that it'd be good to have some type of disposable head covering availabe for use underneath the helmet (like a hotel shower cap or a paper-like cap that hospitals use, etc.). If that is not available, then a can of RID would be helpful too. Nicole has her own helmet, but I'd rather not have to pack it (we have limited room and I'm trying to keep it simple). Anyway, please let me know what kind of provisions there will be so I can plan accordingly. Nicole's hair is very very difficult to do and if she ever got lice, I know that I would have to cut it very short and she would NOT like that at all, so it is a big concern of mine. Thanks.

~Tina
brandonsmom

Re: Horseback Riding Concern

Post by brandonsmom »

Add Tree Tea Oil to her shampoo and you will never have to worry about lice.....I add it to all my shampoo here are home. My Girls got lice last year.....it was awful......my daughter had 12 inches of thick, thick wavy hair and I thought I would never get through it. I learned this from my youngest daughters teacher.....the neighbors girl lives with lice.....she has had it every two weeks for a year or two.......and my kids have not got it from her.
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

Tina,

Excellent question, I'm glad you thought about it. We are checking into this and will get back to you.

There really won't be horseback riding in the sense of a trail, just the opportunity for the kids and adults to interact with the horses and be led in a circle with a trainer. The 4-H is not big enough and we are in the middle of a city!

Nancy
TNT1999

Post by TNT1999 »

Thanks, Nancy. I did understand that it wouldn't be on a trail. Where Nicole goes, they just go around a circle and there's an instructor who stands in the middle and goes around as needed; there are two other children riding at the same time as Nicole; each rider has three people working with them -- the leader and two side walkers. Even though they don't ride trails and it's all pretty controlled, they wear helmets -- they're on an animal (a very tall one) and since animals are unpredictable at times, it's standard that they wear helmets. I'm sure you'll get a reply that they'll be bringing some helmets, but I don't know that they'll be providing "hair" protection, but that shouldn't be too difficult to do. Anyway, thank you.

~Tina
TNT1999

Post by TNT1999 »

Thanks for the tip, Gayle. Where do you get something like that? I'd have to see how well it would work in Nicole's hair. Nicole was blessed with her father's hair and it's not good. It's so frizzy that I have to keep it braided all the time. If I were to comb one small section and leave it unbraided, then move onto another small section, by the time I finished the latter, the first would be all snarled up already (within a few minutes). Hair day is not fun. Nicole goes to a public school and there's usually lice going around once a year from what I've heard, so I'm definitely interested in the tree tea oil. Thanks.

~Tina, bpmom@comcast.net
BIGJAVSMOM

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

Tina- I believe that your children are biracial? Assuming that- I can imagine what type of hair Nicole has. Mine is the same. I used to hate "hair day". Anyway, we were always told in school that lice like to inhabit hair that has no products in it. I guess they can't survive in oil, or hairspray products. There are lots of lite oil moisturizers for children. I use "just for me- lite" on Jody's hair. He has so much hair. One of his braids is equal to what some people have on their whole head. I think the tea tree oil will definately work, you could try sulfur8, pink oil, or hair pudding. None of these flake and all smell pretty good. Especially Jam hair pudding. Also, have you tried a detangling comb? the teeth bow out, it is great. My dad went to cosmetology school when we were kids, because with my mom in the Air Force and having 2 daughters with lots of thick thick hair, he had to learn. lol When you geta chance visit a Sally Beauty Supply store, they will be able to give you all kinds of tips for handling the "untameable"
:)

MArlyn
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

Tina,

Yes there will be helmets available.
No they don't have any plastic covering. So we will try to see if we can get a hotel to donate some disposable shower caps.

In answer to a previous question long ago, it is therapeutic horseback riding and not hippotherapy that we will have at camp.

Nancy
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

You get tea tree oil at GNC/vitamin world.....okay that is the word, health food/vitamin stores......it does really work and it does smell when you first use it....like when you squeeze the shampoo onto your hand but it does not smell in your hair...if you understand what I am saying !!!GAYLE
Karen McClune

Post by Karen McClune »

HI all,

We can thank one of the Doubletree Hotels here in the Seattle area for giving us 100 shower caps.

They are packed and ready to go.

See you all very soon.

Hugs, Karen

BIGJAVSMOM

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

Thanks Doubletree.

Even though we won't be at camp, still glad to know Doubletree hooked you guys up.

Have a great time.

MArlyn