I need info on how e-stim and constraint therapy works

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Kristie

Re: I need info on how e-stim and constraint therapy works

Post by Kristie »

Kate posted her thoughts becasue she felt she read something that was inaccurate. She has always come a crossed to me as someone who seeks truth. It made sense to me.

Francine posted information that showed WHY injurednewborn's page had the information listed the info Kate questioned. This made sense to me and explained the info that was questioned.

Why can't it just end there? Why do we need to draw lines and take sides? We can all benefit from questioning information and from the answers.

Can we move on and get back to the orginial intent of this post! Or should the orginial poster just start a new thread to get the information.

Blessings,
Kristie

katep

Post by katep »

I am not a doctor nor do I claim to be. I am, however, a biomedical engineer and have been involved in a number of FDA device approvals. We always have to show safety of devices that are in electrical contact with the skin.

Neurostimulators are Class II devices, ie. potentially dangerous, and therefore have special safety regulations including potential leakage current and possible failure due to water exposure. Simply speaking, the FDA is not going to approve a device that could kill a patient if water is spilled on it.

It could be that the normal NT2000 may work erratically and stimulate erratically in the presence of water. I don't know. But I *do* know that the non-TES NT2000 or any other FDA-approved stimulator is *not* going to blow up or catch fire if it gets water on it. The FDA would not approve such a device.

The following is a good overview of FDA regulation of devices:

http://www.qrasupport.com/FDA_MED_DEVICE.html

Kate
katep

For anyone particularily interested in the details...

Post by katep »

Here is the standard FDA guidance document for powered muscle stimulators:

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/ode/2246.pdf

Kate
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Solson, I am so sorry but I am unable to help you with your questions. I believe that if you go to the 2 sites that were mentioned that you will find your answers and I wish you Good Luck.

I am so saddend and disappointed by the way this thread has gone, poor Solson asks a question and this is what she gets? To debate ones style of research and belief system is not what is needed here. Support is what is intended.

We are all intelligent and amazing individuals and to believe we are above another is a lie to ourselves.
It is absolutely not necessary to debate ones beliefs or credentials on this forum, if you believe it to be necessary you should do it via email.
The he said, she said, they said or FDA said business implies I am a less than you person, and cannot read for myself and should read and believe as you do.

Praying for all,

Lenni
Katiesmom0514

Post by Katiesmom0514 »

Solson;
I do not have any info on e-stim nor constraint therapy, only a piece of advice. Please talk to your OT. I know when I talk to our PT and have questions, she goes out her way to explain it and get me answers and information so I understand completely. I am sure most OT & PT's are the same way. Let us know how things work out! Blessings to you and your precious daughter.

Cheri, Mom to Katie, 3, LOBPI
Lexijason2004

Post by Lexijason2004 »

So, does any one else have any helpful information for Sara, the original poster? :)
BIGJAVSMOM

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

Solson,
I too have been told about constraint therapy. Javier's OT in VA mentioned it for when he gets older. But I guess you could really say that I do it a little now, like "javier give me 5- and i won't let him do it with his left hand. he can't do it with his right (bpi), but he does offer the right side of his body and laugh. He is so proud of his awareness. Let me know if you find any good info, I will be looking too.

MArlyn
katep

Post by katep »

Marlyn,

You reminded me... We haven't done much true restraint therapy with Joshua. He occasionally he wears his pediawrap on his right unaffected side, so he has to work harder with his BPI arm, and we often gently hold his right arm and encourage him to try with his left.

Over time he has figured out that "left" and "right" can have different rules. So when he grabs for something and I tell him "no", about half the time he reaches again with his left hand, just in case it was a "left only" rule!

Kate
CW1992

Post by CW1992 »

Just a flash back here - but Britt knew left from right when she was one. My other daughter - it took her years.... There are positive things that happen from this injury!:) (sorry that I am off subject)
Christy
Kristie

Post by Kristie »

Typical constraint therapy (aka Restraint or my version Encouragement therapy) involved imoblization of the uneffected arm to force the use of the affected arm. Kinda of like kids with an eye patch- patch the stronger so the weaker will work more and or harder.

There are two ways to go about it really. One is a little eaiser where the parent holds down the arm or tucks in a shirt or splint to make it not be able to complete the task. Or you can take a more drastic approach with it and cast (from just below the shoulder to just over the finger tips) the unaffect arm for a longer period of time ii.e. several days or weeks. We have found that the latter is much more effective. It is not an option for all kids but can be very helpful for others.

Blessings,
Kristie