hickies on arm

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
BIGJAVSMOM

hickies on arm

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

I know this has been posted before, but now Javier seems to be doing it. I put him to sleep yesterday for a nap and couldn't find his splint, anyway I believe he was pulling his BPI up to his mouth with his nnon-bpi hand and biting and sucking on it. After a 2 hour nap he had bite marks and 3 hickies on his forearm. How to stop him? how bad is this? I will call OT @ Shriner's today. Anyone else going through this. I figure it is probably because he is finally having sensation past his elbow and maybe the "pins and needles" are bothering him.

Marlyn
Javier 1 ROBPI & MAnny 5
Lexijason2004

Re: hickies on arm

Post by Lexijason2004 »

I can't help with the biting, but Jason just started pulling on any long shirt sleeve he wears and I was also thinking that maybe he's getting more sensation and can finally feel the sleeve...? Sorry to digress, but you made me remember that he is doing that...
Lexijason2004

Post by Lexijason2004 »

Sorry, I forgot my own suggestion to always put Jason's age!

I'm Lexi, mom to Jason, 13 months, lobpi.
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Marlyn,
Try pickling alum, you find it in the spice aisle. It has a bitter taste. I sucked my thumb and my parents used this on me. My son did the same thing but he would bite his thumb and fingers.....till they bleed. I always had nightmares of waking up to him having bit off his finger or thumb he bit so hard......it was awful. I never ever, still don't and he's seven put him to bed while he was awake. I let him fall asleep and then put him in bed. I think we might be safe now but I won't take the chance....maybe next year !!!Ha, Ha
Gayle mom of Brandon 7 ROPBI
Cara
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My oldest daughter suffered a LOBPI. We were sent home form the hospital without being told anything was wrong. She had nerve graft surgery at one year of age, tendon transfer and release at 3 1/2 yrs of age.

Post by Cara »

We would brush Rosalynn's arm with a soft brush or bath scrubbie. Doing this for 10-15 min 3-4 times a day seemed to end the sucking and biting on the arm, every kids is different though. It might be worth a try.
BIGJAVSMOM

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

Thanks all- I will start the brushing back up. I do know that he loves to be "tapped".

Pickling alum- I will get some. For 3 reasons.lol

Manny 5- sucks his 2 fingers still
Jav 1- sucks his thumb
Jav 1- bites his arm

Marlyn
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

bump
BIGJAVSMOM

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

JAvier saw Daniele (ot) yesterday and she is all to excited about him biting his arm. Not that he's doing it, but the reason why!!!!!

MArlyn

p.s- he doesn't have any new hickies.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

bump
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

I sucked on my forearm and would bite it. I don't remember learning to tap but I did and still will do it from time to time. I guess it's the loss of sensation.
Kath (adult/obpi)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi