overuse

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Master DIVER TOM

Re: overuse

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I total understand and respect what you said to.

Tom
PRISCILLA
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Son, traumatic injured (TBPI) - November 2003. 3 surgeries to date.

Post by PRISCILLA »

Mare, Im right there with you on this one ! I worry alot too. Basically, I think its something they have to figure out on their own and I think Frankie is alot like James in that he is very head-strong ! James is almost 6 years out on hs TBPI and the overuse is setting in with his good side. I just stopped saying anything, it usually makes it worse when I did.
Master DIVER TOM

Maybe I dont understand what is over use? Does over use make you a invilided latter in life. why do people with Ms work? why would a blind person wate for for a bus. Why would a soldier go to war even thow they do come back with out limbs. There is Far Far to many if and maybe in life! I guess ? There is no right answer to me nor do I say I am right. I gust stay positive and by the way I rip up my right arm yes my good side at work. So even if I never had a over use issue. I now find joy in what I did with erbs in life. So I do under stand others worrys about erbs and (what ifs) I have had them all my life.

Master Diver Tom
Mare

Post by Mare »

Overuse is when your good arm is damaged. It causes you great pain and possible non function due to over using it. Most people I have spoke to suffer from ulnar damage, carpel tunnelson or shoulder injury's. Frankie has a bad lbpi. He has no shoulder function can bend the elbow but no wrist, hand or finger movement so he relies only on the right.This is why I'm so afraid of him hurting his good arm. The left can only assist him in hold things against his body. I'm not sure how much function you have in your erbs arm but if its fairly functional overuse probably won't be an issue. As far as why do people with MS work I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that can. I am totally ok except for some numbness and tingling in my hands and I work 2 jobs the first as a teachers aid for handicapped kids and my other is an interior landscape designer both very physical. But I am one of the very lucky ones that was caught early 1yr in and started on shots to prevent further damage a lot are not so lucky and suffer for yrs till its to late and the damage is permanent. Hope this answers your question and I do appreciate your help now I just need to figure out how to get a teen boy to listen to his mother. Did I mention he wants to be a firefighter like his mom,dad and two uncles were. Never told him he can't on that one either. Mare
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Just to add to what Mare wrote,
you can get overuse in both arms actually, commonly we get osteoarthritis in our BPI shoulder because of the shape of it/how it functions (not as well or at all).
Overuse can lead to being more disabled later in life, and I don't really see how your examples or why a person with MS would work? or a blind person wait for a bus? This has nothing to do with overuse.

Again, being disabled doesn't mean you should sit at home in a bubble afraid to try things or to live. BUT you should be more aware of WHAT you do CAN make your life "worse" or "harder" for nothing.

Tom I don't think you understand what overuse is, it's not just "using" your arm (normal side or bpi side) it's using it too much and not taking care of it. None of us want or need more pain later one or less function later on.

Mare, as far as Frankie becoming a fireman.. he does realize there is a "physical" he would have to pass and in all likely hood he would not? Does he still want to be one or was this something he wanted as a child? It may be an idea to get him to talk to a few who are NOT related to him but who can guide him and discuss the reality of it to him. I don't know, it's a tough subject and conversation to have.

Now about listening to you about overuse? HAH! Not gonna happen, BUT maybe if he saw the post we contributed to about listing secondary injuries.. maybe print some of those up and give them to him saying it's from US not YOU. And that we care about him and want him to learn from our mistakes... can't be any worse than you talking to him (again), LOL.

Marieke 33 LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Master DIVER TOM

Man, I never had a over use issue ever! I guess am luckey I guess?? I could hold on to a semi steering wheel wth my erbs hand ( simply grasp) My elbow was broken and scaplua was broken at brith to along with the erbs in my left.But I drove a semi with erbs. I just cant stop being so optomist it just me with erbs!

Master DIVER TOM
Master DIVER TOM

I think you should understand me better and why I am me. When I decided to drive a semi , I still needed to pass a Deptment of Transporation physical every two years. Over 20 yrs I had them and pass. The best questions the doctors always ask is. How can you drive a semi with your erbs arm?? I tell them to look at my safe driving record. There is joy in seeing a doctor become speech less and pass me because, I end my carrear with over 20 yrs of no tickets or acident on record driving a semi with erbs.
Mare

Post by Mare »

Marieke

No he has always wanted to be a firefighter he used to follow the fire trucks with his grandmother to calls his dad and I were on as a toddler and he never changed his mind. He is aware of the physcal. At 16 1/2 I have arranged for him to join our vouleenteer fire co as a jr nothing dangerous just all the work rolling hoses washing trucks and he goes on calls and watches. The good thing about Frankie is he wants to also make alot of money and as I explain they don't make alot of money and that maybe he might want to go into fire science or arson investagation so thats in his head also plus I said what ever he chooses he must complete 4yrs of college 1st so that will open up a whole other world my step son went to college for busness and marketing ended up a nurse anestitist after becoming a phycologist. I will leave a print of the secondray problems by the computer and ask that he read it maybe it will sink in
Thanks Marieke
Master DIVER TOM

I am proud of you and Frankie today! Fact is if you fail doing something and fail so What!! My good right arm got ripped up falling backwards into traffic and I caught my fall in 3 fingers, I am on sosical security without a appeal. I still scuba dive and find other ways to have fun. I went down fighting before I gave up my CDL! I forever will be optimistic!! Best Wishes from , Tom
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Mare, That is a great idea for Frankie! Arson investigation or something related would be perfect for his interests!

Hope he gets someting out of the secondary issues posts :)
Hugs to you both!
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com