overuse

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Re: overuse

Post by patpxc »

As a 56 year old LOBPI with 2 carpal tunnel surgeries, a pronator release, past spinal cord compression, severe steoarthritis,scoliosis ..just to name a few--I can tell you that I agree with Tom-- I would not modify the things I have done. Yes, I am paying for it now, but what a ride.
I do ask for a lot of help now. I don't mow the lawn anymore or pull weeds--but to me, even though there were many things I couldn't do--like unscrew a light fixture, I know I would have missed out on other things by not pushing to my max limit.
I think this has got to be a personal choice as everyone has to live with the decisions they make it this life.--And how do I know that a lot of these overuse things wouldn't have occurred anyway.
Face it, Erb's is a really stinky thing to have and because most of us look like there is nothing wrong other than a crooked arm, it didn't get a lot of compassion or understanding years ago.Maybe in this generation things can be different.
I know I tried for the airforce and got turned down, but that doesn't mean that Frankie can't be a firefighter--if he can find a way to adapt and do the job.
It really does tick me off that because of this injury we have to deal and suffer the overuse --wish I had a magic wand that would give everyone 2 good arms, triceps and pretty hands
thanks
Pat
cdmurfee

Post by cdmurfee »

I'm of the opinion that we should acknowledge our limits but not accept them. For example, I'll set a big goal for myself, realize that it may take a long time to reach that, and I systematically create a series of smaller more attainable goals that propel me into the direction I'd like to go. Even if I fall short of my primary goals, I am always better off having had tried to get there than if I hadn't even bothered. To me, that seems to be a healthy medium between protecting the function of my "good" arm and seizing the day and looking forward to the future.

I work out my left(BPI) arm all the time, with the understanding that it's important to improve the function for the sake of my other arm. I also think "use it or lose it" and that helps keep me motivated. One thing I do, that may sound silly, is that I treat my "disabled" arm like I might treat a "disabled" child. I give it plenty of attention, I realize that it won't develope as quickly as the other "kids", but I remain patient and hopeful that it will catch on. I try to challenge it but not overwhlem it. I try to be patient with my arm's developement, because I know it'll be a lot slower, but it will develope. I know it won't be 100% like "everyone else", but I am confident that I can get it to be more independant than if I just ignored it, and decided to do everything unilaterally.

-Chris, 24/LOBPI
Mare

Post by Mare »

I can't thank you all enough for the advice and sharing your personal stories. Marieke I did like you suggested and printed out some of the posts of others suffering from overuse and gave them to Frankie and asked that he read them and yet again he rolled his eyes and whined a (WHYYYYY) and never read them but at least I can say I tryed to warn him repeatedly and he just didn't listen. My husband says he's just like his mom. My plant job caused my ulnar nerve damage and even after the surgery I still do things that cause me to cry in pain at night and its not even fun stuff its just things that I should be doing to make my job easier on my arm but it takes longer so I do it the quick way to get done and suffer later. I just want him to avoid the pain I've been through but I guess he will have to find out the hard why. Thanks again Everyone Mare
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Chris,
You've GOT IT Right!!
Carolyn J
LOBPI/71
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I wish Franke the Best, He will have sad times when he tryed and it did not work out! But because he trys he will learn determiation and trys again and he is now happy and even if you have to deal with More you know what. Maybe Joy Helps Depresion??? Medical Treatment today is far better for erbs than in the 1950. I Do Belive in Hope and you!

PADI MASTER DIVER TOM
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Chris
You are truly on the right track. Your attitude is just perfect. We can't expect our arms to be perfect ( what ever perfect is) but we can get it to work to it's peak.

I was over fifty when I gained function and was able to move my pronated hand to neutral. I used the Semg machine after Camp 2007 and learned to lift my arm to it's max without using my upper traps. It is amazing the change in my neck since this movement has been corrected.

It is never to late to gain function but we must also protect our unaffected arm from being abused.

I didn't realize that there was a possibility of causing problems with my unaffected arm. I was so anxious to appear and preform according to my unrealistic view of normal. I overused and actually abused my left arm. I pay the price with spinal damage and osteoarthritis along with shoulder, knee damage. If I knew what I know now I would be in so much better shape.

You seem to be keenly aware of your limitation and your possibilities for improved mobility. Keep moving forward it is never to late to gain a new function.

I love the way you compared our arms to a disabled child. We never stop them from trying to reach whatever goal they set for themselves. We should also never limit our own possible growth and improvement.

I love your posts.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I really respect all of you! I was amazed to how many Medical Treatment has come from the 1950s for erbs!!! AWSOME!!!! They first told me I had POLIO in My LEFT from birth. My care for my erbs end at 14 in the 1960S, I found out I really had ERBS. You guys Bedasil Me ! WHOW SO MANY TREATMENTS!!

PADI MASTER DIVER TOM