My latest arm surgery

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Nicolette
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I had a RTBPI by Motorcycle accident, in March of 2006

Re: My latest arm surgery

Post by Nicolette »

That's really awesome! By the time that I get up there in October you will be amazing. Can't wait to see what you are doing in person.
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Post by AngelaW »

Well it has been around a month since I got the cast removed and all I can say is, "Wow!" I'm so happy with the results from this surgery and I believe I made the right decision for my arm and hand. The swelling is greatly improved. The flexion in my arm gets stronger every week. I can now briefly hold a shopping basket or purse in the crook of my arm. The same goes for supporting a magazine while I page through it
My hand is still very weak, but the positioning of the thumb has really allowed for some exciting and useful changes already. I can carry the remote control and other items of similar weight from room to room,hold my phone or mp3 player while I plug it in, steady a mixing bowl, and grip say, a seasoning packet while I cut it open. My greates new trick is that I can hold a toothbrush while I put toothpaste on it. No more suction cup toothbrush for me.
The arm surgery combined with my previous shoulder surgery has also allowed me to give my first handshake, and my first, full two-armed hug in over two years! It's a very special feeling. :)
The most intriguing change is my improvement of balance. When my arm and wrist were just flopping around I had a lot of trouble walking in a straight line. I compared it to trying to walk with a 5lb rock dangling from your wrist. Now that my arm is stabilized I think I could actually do a normal jog if my knee wasn't crap, lol.
All of theses things seem like small improvements, but when you add them altogether they equal one big improvement on my quality of life. It's also been so nice to A) not have to wear a giant brace or be in a wheelchair for 3 months and B) to get such immediate and satisfying results. My wonderful doctor says he is expecting much more improvement to come so I am looking forward to it. :D
I will keep updating, but I hope that by "documenting" this surgery it gives some of you an idea of what exactly happens in some of these surgeries and what some possible outcomes are...... :)
Attachments
I'm standing up and holding the remote control
I'm standing up and holding the remote control
a.jpg (21.18 KiB) Viewed 2756 times
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

it is an amazing feeling to be able to do the simplest of things. i am just starting to hold small objects again. It has not been very long since my injury, but i know that feeling and it is wonderful. i am very happy for you.
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

YAYYY!!! thats awesome!! keep up the progress!
~Mel/23/LOBPI
RobertRacer
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 9/23/07 - LTBPI / Motorcycle collision

Post by RobertRacer »

This is all very exciting for you I'm sure Angela. Congratulations.
Robert - LTBPI/34/AL - Yamaha meets Ford Expedition....not good.
dani_was_here
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Traumatic BPI, June 8, 2008, Nerve graft surgery

Post by dani_was_here »

I'm really happy for you. All the little things really add up. I'm sure you'll see nothing but improvements. Good luck!
snipermax

Post by snipermax »

Hi Angela!

wow! thats really very very nice, i am also on my second year of being like this and its very nice to hear stories like this. It really gives us hope. Actually i am now on the point that i accepted being like this for the rest of my life but now im thinking and hoping to be like you. really really nice angela,..

thanks a lot and keep us updated!
cristinam

Post by cristinam »

You're two-armed hug comment made my heart melt, almost a bit teary-eyed. :) ...I miss that, A LOT! But I am SO happy for you on your results, that's incredible! Keep on Keeping on!!
Mica

Post by Mica »

Angela,

I'm the mom of a fabulous 4-year-old with a bilateral OBPI, and I've been following your posts about these last procedures. I'm just so happy for you!!! It's wonderful the things you're now able to do. I know how hard you've worked, and what you've had to go through to get these movements back, and all I can say is BRAVO FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!

Please keep sharing your journey with us. It's truly an inspiration!

<><
m
dani_was_here
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Traumatic BPI, June 8, 2008, Nerve graft surgery

Post by dani_was_here »

Just saw my doctors today and they are going to try some more surgery. I'm hoping to be able to hug my grandson someday. He was 2 weeks old when I had the accident. If the surgery works I'll be able to hug him two-handed for the first time. Thanks for sharing and making me a little more optimistic.