Scar Massage

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Elizabeth Beaulieu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right Brachial Plexus birth injury

Re: Scar Massage

Post by Elizabeth Beaulieu »

Hi, I have multiple scars and I would always complain about doing scar massage... I don't know if it's that it hurts or that it's just uncomfortable. To me it's kind of both. After you get the surgery your in pain, so you keep in your mind that "Oh, it's gonna hurt if I touch it." And I think it's more of the fear that it MIGHT hurt. I hated scar massage when I was young, and I'm almost 17 now and I still hate it, because of the fact that it might hurt.
bfaithda
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My name is Bridget, my son Brayden has a LOBPI. He was born 5-14-07 and weighted 11lbs 3ozs and was 22inches long and got stuck on my pelvis coming out. All 5 nerves were involved 2 ruptured and 3 avulsed, and also had Horner's Syndrome. He had primary surgery in St. Louis with Dr. Parks when he was 3 months old. He used synthetic materials to fuse the nerves together, because the nerves in his calves were not long enough. Brayden currently does aqua therapy, PT, OT and speech therapy. He has little movement in his arm and hand, but that does not stop him from having fun and being a normal boy!!!

Post by bfaithda »

Tuckersmommy wrote:My son too has one along his back calf and last vistit the dr didn't like the look of the scar or the build up so he gave us a silicon patch to put directly over it and a ace bandage to keep it in place for a few hours or over night for scar therapy ....It worked wonders the scar was less visible and the lump under the scar went away all this with in hours of use.
They sell these in drugstores by the band aids.Just last month I had a c-section and the doctor there recommended it as well for scar management...along with gently massaging it with mederma or coco butter.Hope this helps
Is there a certain brand of silicon patch that you used? I was at Walmart looking into it and they seemed to have 2 kinds and they both cost $20. That is little much to waste if I pick out a brand that is not so good and waste!
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Eliizabeth,
It's soooo good to read you on here!! You have a good perspective on most ..readall subjects. Please come often. 8-)
HUGGZ,
gramma Carolyn J
LOBPI/72+++ :mrgreen: