3d Cat Scan july 1

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
TNT1999

Re: 3d Cat Scan july 1

Post by TNT1999 »

As others mentioned a pre-visit would be helpful and you might also try having her stay awake during the scan. I would suggest though if you think that she might not be able to stay awake and remain still and might need the IV, that you should have them put on the EMLA cream just in case (if you're planning to use EMLA cream that is). The cream doesn't take effect immediately so by having it put on in advance anyway, then you can avoid the extra waiting time. Also, check with the hospital about someone being able to stay with your daughter the whole time. We were able to do that. With my daughter's first CT Scan, I couldn't be in the room b/c I was preg., but my husband was in the room. With her second one, I was in the room, but my baby waited in the waiting room with my Mom. Ask them how long the actual scan will be -- it s/b very quick. Go to a children's hospital if possible. We arranged a pre-tour the day before and the nurse actually let my daughter get up onto the scan bed and go under the scanner (it wasn't on). Also, what helped Nicole to keep still is that we made a game out of it. She loves all the Disney princesses so I told her that I wanted her to pretend to be Sleeping Beauty (she was 4 yrs. 9 mos. at the time) and that Prince Charming (her Daddy) would give her a wake up kiss when it was time for her to wake up and move and that she had to lie very still in the meantime. It worked out great. At the pre-visit, they even gave us a coloring book with pics of the machine, etc. I like your nickname "KDBUG!"

~Tina
KDs Daddy

Post by KDs Daddy »

Ok thank you all for the info. We are going in today.
Jeni And I talked and they will not put an IV in KD and if they do insist then we will go to childrens hospital. We cant see using an IV in a 34lb 3 1/2 yr old. For her mri they gave her some sleepy juice she drank. Well thanks again and keep us in your prayers.
KDs Daddy

Post by KDs Daddy »

It wasnt a childrens hospital it was a regular one. Oh that a few years ago went union. So they tried to do the hurry up and wait thing and you know a 3 yr old dont wait much and in a hospital no way . So they rush rush rush doc said give her an IV and Mom said that aint happenen!! Mom knows what she is talking about and asked if they had some goofy juice the doc said no but the radioligist said yes they do but by that time KD was in the corner curled up saying I dont like this hospital Mommy so we followed our instincts and went home after a failed attempt. Although her piglet stuffed animal got a 3d cat!!

So we are going to go to Childrens to get it done. My daughter hates hospitals and doesnt care much for docs especially ones that dont know how to treat children. He asked why you getting this done and Mom said she was obpi and he asked so when did this happen. Oh my what a genius.
TNT1999

Post by TNT1999 »

Sorry it didn't workout for you. Good for "mama bear" for having the confidence to speak up for KD. I hope the first experience doesn't complicate the second experience too much. I'm sure you'll find an opportunity to brief the children's hospital radiology dept. so that they can provide extra special care. Does KD have a favorite restaurant? Since we didn't know if Nicole would be sedated and she couldn't eat / drink, we told her that we'd go out to lunch after the scan and it'd be her choice. Maybe that'll help give some extra incentive.

The biggest problem we've had with 3D CT scans is getting the hospital to get them into the right format. Eventually, we got it done correctly both times, but it took a lot of phone calls and a couple extra trips to the hospital. I even gave them a script from Dr. Nath with detailed instructions and a copy of a sample printout, discussed it w/two people when booking the appt. and with a couple people including the tech. when having the scan done. BTW, we were able to get a film of her scans and a CD of them. Request the formats you'll want before you leave and sign whatever releases you will need then so you won't have to worry about it later. Do you have another date yet? Please let us know how it goes.

~Tina
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mama bear did GREAT! good for her! I think that an extended conversation before next time is warranted. Just because it's a children's hospital doesn't mean that you are guaranteed a good experience. The extended conversation can go into detail about how you and your wife want the experience to go - you can call the shots. She might not want to drink the goofy juice because it doesn't taste nice, so what's the alternative? I've heard that it comes in nasal spray. Maybe your pediatrician has some ideas on some alternatives as well. A big 'ole Barney balloon purchased the minute we got into the hospital worked wonders for us btw. Scoop out where the gift shop is. In children's hospitals they are loaded with toys.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bump for KDs Daddy... remember back when you didn't know everything and had to ask questions, and people were NICE to you in response?