camp????

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: camp????

Post by Kath »

Kath (Chicago)

I am robpi and never spoke about my arm or felt sorry for myself. I was not sure about going to camp to meet with others because I felt sad whenever I met a child with OBPI. I know how hard they have it, to make the progress necessary to move on with a normal life.

I joined UBPN Board of Directors and that forced me to go to camp and help out... I still thought it was not for me. I totally enjoyed my self... We met at night in a separate room for injured only... and all we did was laugh not one person either OBPI or TBPI were in the middle of a piety party... for me it explained so much about my injury because I did not have all the medical records at my fingertips... for TBPI they helped each of the newly injured people with support and tips...
I am looking forward to this gathering to meet some of the new people both obpi and tbpi that will be joining us this year.

I hope this helps you because the last thing Camp did to me was to depress me... it inspired me and gave me more motivation to support others who have just found this site and information regarding their injury be it tbpi or obpi adults...
I loved meeting Courtney, Eric, Anthony, John and in Italy last year I met LizB... we laughed and joked and just let our hair down even joking about some of our challenges.

Kath M ( adult/obpi)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

I am going ot echo Kath M loud and clear! I have met TONS of BPI peeps and it has been GREAT! There have been some along tha way that are just looking for a pitty party and you just politly move on!! I ev en flew across the pond last summer to meet those in the UK... WOW talk about peepes I have shitte in common with! It was truely amazing! I look forward to meeting more and just laughing about thinngs! Our injured only meetings at the last camp that Kath M talks about were GREAT! We laughed till we had tears in our eyes!! Laughter is the best medicine right!? Think aobut it in a possitve light... Liz B is even coming here from the UK this year for camp!! I am going back to the UK next summer... cant afford it this summer..... its GREAT to laugh with peeps who TOTALLY UNSERSTAND what yo uare laughing aobut!

COurt :)
Karen McClune

Post by Karen McClune »

Susan and all,

I want to say that David and I have been to both camps and they are wonderful, even for parents of TBPI's. It was so wonderful to meet people who understood what David and I were going through with Ryans injury. The support we receive was amazing.

When I was asked to join the board, I didn't think twice and when they asked me to coordinate camp this year again I didn't think twice. I know what Ryan, Courtney, Kath, Joe (yes, Joe will be back this year again), Eric and so many others received from this experience.

Susan, you asked which day might be best to come, I agree with Courtney, Sat. would be the best day. Lots going on for TBPI's. There will also be ponies for the therapy session.

Yes you do need to register by Aug. 1st. It is $35.00 a day for day campers.

Can't wait to meet you all at camp.

Hugs, Karen

cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

Hey who is Joe???

Court :)
PeggyUBPN

Post by PeggyUBPN »

Court,

Joe was the teen at the CO camp (he didn't want to go--really wanted nothing to do with it, but his mom brought him)--he had a life changing moment and really ended up LOVING it and bonding with people. It was really wonderful and rewarding. It brings tears to my eyes even now.

It will be great to see them again....everyone, and to meet new friends!

Peggy
cbe411

Post by cbe411 »

Thanks Peggy!
Karen McClune

Post by Karen McClune »

Nancy,

I am really sorry you and Eric won't be coming to camp this year. You both will be missed.

Hopefully you both will be able to make camp in 07.

Hugs to you both,

Karen
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh Yeah, Joe and I will be there again. Joe truly isnt excited about coming but agrees with the whole National Proclamation and all.... WE NEED TO BE THERE.
Joe goes to Mayos next Tuesday for another opinion on amputation. At this point what does the mother say? I just hope that one day he can deal with the choices that he makes and has made as a young man.
I'm so looking forward to meeting you Courtney. I read all your posts. I hope that Joe and you will become good friends. He needs as many TBPI friends that he can get.
Cant wait to see everyone.......We are coming in on Wed. night
It will be here before we all know it.

Traci Alsbury
Joe Alsbury (TBPI-June 2000)
cbe411

Post by cbe411 »

Traci.... sounds great! I Have a handfull of TBPI FRIENDS and they are GREAT! i know who to call on at certain times, if ya know what I mean! I am excited to meet you guys too! I will be there with my mom and we are coming on Wednesday night also.... we are leaving Saturday afternoon thouhg as my boyfriends best friend is getting married htat day and I would like to at least make it to the reception! hhahaha (asked them to change the date but they cant! haha) SusieKaye will be there too and she is an amputee.... so maybe it will be great for Joe to talk to her too!!

COurt :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

what and where is this camp u speak of? sounds like a good time, my tbpi occurred last summer and i have never met w/anyone who knows what i am going thru
t